Monday, December 8, 2014

Unexpected benefits

I stumbled onto something interesting a couple of weeks ago when I was sick and went to work out; the same thing happened again today.  That's twice now, so as far as I'm concerned it's now written in stone.  If you're having sinus problems or have a headcold, working out clears your head and nose.  Not permanently, but enough to improve most of a day.  This was really good news for me, because when I dragged my sorry sick self to class today, I just knew I'd be doing Mountainclimbers with Kleenex hanging out my nose.  None of my trainers have ever done anything bad enough to deserve seeing that, so it was a real boost to find out it wasn't going to happen.  Cool.

Pleasant surprises like that happen more frequently than you'd think in that room.  Like the time I worked out with a new classmate (I don't know about you, but I always feel self-conscious with an unfamiliar person) and I had to do wall squats with the big rubber ball behind me.  I lost my balance going down but my shoes grabbed the carpet and refused to slide, so I fell down so hard and fast on my butt that I nearly shoved my kneecaps straight up my nostrils.  I can't remember the last time I got so up close and personal with my own knees.  My new classmate laughed so hard I thought she was going to cough up a lung, but as an icebreaker, it worked great.  Poof!  Instant friends.  I was now shaped like a paperclip, but I had someone to laugh with about it.  So, you know, it happens.  I never know WHAT exactly is going to happen in there, but it's almost always something good that I didn't expect.


No comments:

Post a Comment